We led implementations of leading data tools, including AWS, Salesforce, Segment, Google Analytics, Snowflake, and Looker in partnership with a 3rd party (Data Culture) who designed the central data model and Looker instance. This culminated in bringing a first-of-a-kind data product to the healthcare market that visualizes the patient experience (through the Looker platform) from the time a patient decides to see a provider through the actual appointment. Through this information we are empowering our customers to better serve their patients and improve outcomes. We are seeking a talented Data Scientist/Analyst to own, manage, and expand upon BetterHealthcare’s data stack, supporting users across the business.
In this role, the successful candidate will be responsible for building and managing data models for analytics and creating reporting tools to enable data-driven decision-making across the business. You will ensure data is prepared and ready for analysis, dive deep into the data to help identify key trends and drivers of our business, perform ad hoc analysis, and build recurring reports, dashboards, and forecasts.
The Data Scientist/Analyst will report directly to the COO and be responsible for operationalizing the data vision of the CEO and COO to ensure our product remains best-in-class and inform internal business decisions. The intent is to have the Data Scientist/Analyst build a strong data team as we scale our business into several new healthcare verticals over the next 24 months.
Due to the speed of our growth, we are seeking a candidate who has (1) more than five years data science and analytics experience, (2) developed data products in healthcare, (3) startup experience, (4) is comfortable in Looker, Google Analytics, Segment, and Snowflake (or a comparable data warehouse platforms such as Redshift, Oracle, or Yellowbrick), and (5) successfully led a data team. If you do not meet these criteria, please do not apply. We will continue to build out our product team over the next 24 months and would welcome your application at that time.
Day-to-day responsibilities will include planning, gathering and prioritizing data requirements, managing regular data reporting as well as ad hoc requests, coordinating with the Data Culture team, and working closely with our COO to anticipate company and customer needs. The role also includes working collaboratively with sales, marketing, and customer success to ensure customer satisfaction as well as with the Engineering team to ensure data is accurately flowing from our product to our customers.
The ideal candidate has excellent communication experience, organizational skills, and a passion for connecting with people, leading through example, and establishing structure and process to scale a team.
Here's what you'll do as part of the team:
- Manage Snowflake data warehouse (including adding new data sources as needed) and custom ETL pipeline scripts to ensure data freshness and limit any downtime
- Manage DBT data model making edits to underlying SQL tables to unlock critical reporting needs with internal business stakeholders
- Manage Looker instance and answer ticket requests from business users
- Build reporting as needed for Finance, Operations, Sales, marketing, and Customer Success departments
- Lead data-driven, decision-making culture across the business and support strategic data product development
- Manage Segment event tracking to support Head of Marketing on all marketing and customer success requirements
- Design and architect data models to support organization-wide reporting needs using data transformation/build tool (dbt)
- Work closely with department stakeholders and embedded data analysts to prioritize data ingestion and data modeling required to enable analysis
- Delineate where business logic should live in the warehouse vs in data visualization tool and build a process for handing off data models to embedded BI analysts
- Manage the development of data resources, gather requirements, organize sources, and support product launches
- Work closely with product and engineering on identifying and QA’ing the relevant tracking required to measure the impact of new product features
- Help to further develop the company's data literacy
- Gather, process, and analyze internal data from multiple sources with the goal of connecting expenditure to top line growth and developing insights which will improve the efficiency of business operations
- Create dashboards and/or visualizations of key data to ensure that internal stakeholders are kept apprised of progress on various initiatives
- Discovers efficient ways to organize, store, and analyze data with attention to security and confidentiality
- Partners with digital business groups and entity marketers to set relevant Key Performance Indicators (KPIs) that align to the organization’s business goals
- Develops consistent strategic/analytical frameworks, KPIs and standard dashboards to measure and perform analysis of marketing campaign performance across brands
- Optimizes current reporting tools and development of custom business intelligence tool
- Ensures accurate, timely and relevant weekly, monthly, and quarterly reporting
Here are the skills and experience you'll need to be successful:
- A Bachelor’s degree
- 5+ years experience in data science/analytics, data engineering, business intelligence, or technical data analytics role supporting go-to-market organizations
- Necessary: AWS, specifically AWS Glue, AWS Redshift, and AWS Aurora
- Serious plus: Experience with Looker, DBT, Segment, and ETL optimization techniques, especially with cloud-based data warehouses like Snowflake
- Plus: Knowledge of Google Analytics and data ingestion tools (e.g. Fivetran, Stitch)
- Experience with building Looker data models (LookML), data pipeline management technologies with dependency checking (e.g. Airflow, dbt), schema design, and dimensional data modeling
- Experience building visualizations using Looker
- Ability to leverage tools, business intuition, and attention to detail for data validation and QA
- Excellent communication skills, with great instincts as to when/how to communicate both internally/externally around product releases and any challenges to the timelines
- Organizational and project management skills to manage multiple projects in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment and are agile to changes
- Meticulous attention to detail, excellent organizational/project management skills and ability to review deliverables for completeness, quality and compliance with established styles/standards
- Highly motivated/self-starter with a sense of ownership, willingness to learn, high degree of curiosity and desire to succeed
- Sense of accountability and ownership for accounts being managed and ability to look for a viable solution to any potential problem
- Must perform well in high pressure situations, balance competing priorities, and demonstrate the ability to work without direct supervision
- Ability to work with and influence a wide range of cross-functional work teams and leaders within a matrix organization
- Excellent interpersonal, written/oral communication to effectively communicate results/implications both verbally and in writing to technical and non-technical audiences regarding operationalizing data
- Passionate and persuasive, ability to understand how to convince a customer to think non-traditionally in order to understand the value of new technology
And here is what's in it for you:
- Be a part of an exceptional team: our hiring bar is absurdly high and your colleagues are talented, motivated, self-starters
- Report directly to COO, opportunity to build a strong data team
- Excellent benefits package, including health savings accounts and commuter benefits, discounts on select gym memberships, and annual subscription to One Medical, 401(k)
- Monthly team social activities and clubs
- Additional perks: lunch and snack perks, summer Fridays
- May be required to travel to various locations as needed. Reliable transportation may be required
- Must be willing to carry a cell phone and be available during evenings, weekends, and holidays. Frequency of rotation will vary depending on need/size of department
- Regular job attendance is an essential job function. Currently, all employees are remote due to COVID-19, however, employees will be required to work from the office once it reopens
BetterHealthcare is a one-of-a-kind technology company that specializes in connecting the patient, provider, and payer through an interoperable platform. Our team is comprised of highly motivated individuals passionate about increasing and improving access to healthcare services. In the last year, we expanded from physical therapy into the Renal Care and Applied Behavior Analysis verticals, while simultaneously transforming our data collection and analysis capabilities. We led implementations of leading data tools, including Salesforce, Segment, Google Analytics, Snowflake, and Looker. This culminated in bringing a first-of-a-kind data product to the healthcare market that visualizes the patient experience from the time they decide to see a provider through the actual appointment. Through this information we are empowering our customers to better serve their patients and improve outcomes.